HEY CAMPERS! I bet you are reading this post because you have found most sleeping pads uncomfy, and it is a must that you have a good night sleep while camping unless you want to wake up lethargic and waste that beautiful time.
Most sleeping pads are designed for back sleepers and side sleepers, which make it hard to get a suitable pad if you are a stomach sleeper. there are some things you must check before you invest on a sleeping pad.
The first 3 sleeping pads listed are the ones I have tried for myself, the rest are based on customer review and some research!
What should u look for, and what to avoid
- Make sure it is thick enough: this is crucial, the thicker the better! The pressure points of stomach sleepers are the chest and the knees. if you don’t support them well you might end up not feeling well. So what I would suggest would is to get something with good air support just like a singer and something thick just like a sumo wrestler.
- Extra room: Most stomach sleepers consciously or unconsciously lift one leg up to decrease pressure on the lower back, which brings us to the point that you need some extra space for your leg to be at.
- Avoid vertical lines: I don’t know if this affects a lot of people but when I get to sleep on a sleeping pad with vertical lines, the vertical line it plays with my knee balls as if they are playing soccer which is very uncomfortable and makes me sleepless.
A quick overview of the best sleeping bag for stomach sleepers
- Best overall: Overmount Sleeping Pad
- Best quality: Thermarest NeoAir Xlite Sleeping Pad
- Best for cold weather: Lightspeed Outdoors XL Super Plush
- Best for plus size: Klymit Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad
- Best for hikers: Legit Camping Sleeping Pad
- Best lightweight: WELLAX Ultralight Air Sleeping Pad
- Best budget: Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest Classic Foam
#1. Overmount Sleeping Pad
What a sleeping pad from overmount, as a stomach sleeper you need something with a good thickness and support and this is where this sleeping bag comes to life.
You have 5 color choices, I bought the blue one and you can choose the one you like. It has two versions the normal and the upgraded, the upgraded has some features added to it so I would choose it over the normal one
This sleeping pad has 5 R-value which is great if you are camping in cold places. The upgraded version has a dimension of 76.7 x27.5 x 4.72 in, I am 6 feet tall and there are some extra inches left, and they clearly state it can handle weight up to 600 pounds, while the regular version which I have seen for myself but it says it has 75x24inces dimension and it can fit people up to 6 feet.
Everything has pros and cons and there is something I have found to be irritating about this sleeping bag and it is the inflation method, it took me 20 minutes to inflate the first time but once you know how to do it it is a lot easier.
I would say it have a decent price but it changes a dollar or two. it is on the cheap side and it is also sold on Amazon you can take a look.
#2. Thermarest NeoAir Xlite Sleeping Pad
A very high quality and premium sleeping pad from Thermarest, this sleeping pad is sold for almost $200 and it is probably the best sleeping pad I have seen but just too pricey.
You are thinking how could a sleeping pad be so expensive, well first of all Thermarest has the highest quality products and that’s the main thing. The is made with high-quality products which add up to make you camp.
This pad is super lightweight and has four size choices,
- Small: Inflated size 47x20x2.5 inches paced size 9×3.5 inches and it weighs 8 ounces, this size is amazing for kids under 7 years old.
- Regular: Inflated size 72x20x2.5 inches, packed size 9×4.1 inches and it weighs 12 ounces
- Regular wide: Inflated size 72x25x2.5 inches, packed size 9×4.1 inches and it weighs 15 ounces.
- Large: Inflated size 77x25x2.5 inches, packed size 11×4.6 inches and it weighs 16 ounces
I have bought the large one and it is exactly the size I expected.
Considering how lightweight it is it can be said it has amazing insulation(4.2 R-value). The technology used to get this level of insulation is amazing and finally, the sleeping pad is coated with a high-quality nylon fabric which gives it a soft finish.
What I would say wrong about this sleeping pad is it has some kind of cracking sound and this is because of the insulation they have used inside the sleeping bag if it weren’t for this it would have been perfect.
If you are interested, check on amazon.
#3. Lightspeed Outdoors XL Super Plush
Another high-quality sleeping pad that I had a good experience with, with a different look and feel this sleeping pad has the third spot on my list of the best sleeping pads.
This sleeping pad is on the high-end side, it is super durable high quality and obviously expensive. Your camping in cold place well this might be your answer, it has an R-value more than 9 what makes that amazing is it is just 3inches thick.
I don’t use this sleeping bag that much because of its weight, it weighs around 7lbs and it is too bulky. I wouldn’t recommend it for hikers and backpackers. It has an inflated size of 77″ x 30″ x 3″ which makes it perfect for tall and big people.
If you want to add some luxury to you camping trip you can check it on amazon.
#4. Klymit Static V Luxe Sleeping Pad
High-end sleeping pad from klymit, this is the best for big guys out there, with an inflated size of. if you are looking for a tiny compact thing I wouldn’t recommend this sleeping pad.
Well it is bulkier compared to other sleeping pads but I would say it is worth the bulkiness if you are going to a cold or a rainy place, it is 35 ounces with a Packed Size of 5. 5″ x 10″ and an inflated size of 76″ x 30″ x 3″.
With an R-value of 4.4 and there are two versions of it, insulated and uninsulated. the uninsulated one is lighter and it has a lower price. There are also two versions of the pad, the older version and a newer, the new one has some positive elements added to it, I would recommend it more than the other one.
The insulated one has a price of $120 while the uninsulated is sold for $90 which is a $30 difference, it also has a double-size version which is less than the price of the normal size. I know it’s funny but it is what it is.
#5. Legit Camping Sleeping Pad
Funny name but legit sleep pad right here with many good reviews and a 100% money-back guarantee.
Don’t expect this sleeping bag to be fancy, it is just a basic and uncomplicated sleeping bag sold for $30. It has an R-value of 1.4 which is low and not the best for cold places. When inflated it has a dimension of 75″ x 22.5″ x 2″ and it is made with ripstop nylon which is the best material to keep it clean for a long time.
It doesn’t have self-inflation so you need good breath support if you are planning to buy this sleeping bag😊. It packs down to 10” x 3.5” and it weighs 18 ounces which is nice if you are going for a simple backpacking camping trip.
Many customers said it doesn’t retain air very well which I am not sure if it is true are not but I am sure it has a decent pillow is like a bonus, anyways if you are interested check it on amazon
#6. WELLAX Ultralight Air Sleeping Pad
This right here is a decent sleeping pad for campers, inexpensive and durable. if you are in a rainy place or campground is damp this can do magic, its 100% waterproof and coated with high-quality ripstop nylon
It has 2.1 r value which is great for a 14-ounce sleeping pad. When inflated the size is 78” x24” x2.5” what you have to know is this sleeping bag is not self-inflating but it is sold for less than $40 and have many 5 star ratings.
And it also is one of the most sold sleeping pads on Amazon, thousands of ratings you can check it if you are interested.
#7. Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest Classic Foam Camping Sleeping Pad
So we have to include a foam sleeping pad on the list and this right is the best foam sleeping pad I can find. I will leave it to you whether you want air or foam sleeping pad, but if you are looking for foam this would probably be your best choice.
It is made in the USA and it has 2.0 r value. The other thing is there are two different sizes you can choose from and they have a price difference too.
- Regular: 72 x 20 inches and weighs 14 ounces and it is sold for
- Large: 77 x 25 inches and weighs 19 ounces
I don’t have much to say on this, you can check it on amazon.